Brief Proposal Deadline: May 8, 2020 (11:59 PM ET)
The online application system provides templates and detailed instructions for each phase and component of the grant application.
Phase I: Brief Proposal Deadline: May 8, 2020 (11:59 p.m. ET)
Phase II: Full Proposal, if invited Deadline: September 7, 2020 (11:59 p.m. ET)
Our THIS-WIC team is more eager than ever to support efforts to implement telehealth solutions for WIC; however, as the COVID-19 situation evolves, it has become increasingly clear that the impact that this outbreak has had on our daily lives – personal and work-related – is substantial. We also acknowledge that State and Local Agencies are addressing urgent program logistics to ensure participants have access to nutritious foods.
Due to these unique circumstances, THIS-WIC has worked with the USDA FNS to extend the proposal deadlines. The revised timeline is listed below:
• May 8th—Brief Proposal deadline
• June 1st—Applicants notified about decisions
• September 7th—Full Proposal deadline
Please take care and feel free to reach out with any other concerns during this time, and we look forward to seeing your applications.
THIS-WIC at a Glance
To help WIC State Agencies (SAs) develop and/or implement telehealth using various technologies to facilitate breastfeeding support, nutrition education and address barriers to participant access of WIC services, Tufts University and collaborators are requesting proposals for the USDA/Tufts Telehealth Intervention Strategies for WIC (THIS-WIC) grant opportunity.
The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2019 (Public Law 116 -6) authorized the allocation of $5,000,000 for telehealth competitive grants to:
- supplement the nutrition education and breastfeeding support offered in the WIC clinic;
- decrease barriers to access to WIC services, particularly in rural communities and other populations facing barriers to accessing support;
- impact dietary habits, infant feeding practices, including breastfeeding rates, participant satisfaction and retention, and improve identified nutrition risks.
Role of THIS-WIC Team
To best support WIC SAs, the THIS-WIC team will:
- oversee this telehealth competitive grants program to WIC SAs;
- provide technical support to WIC SAs during the application process and implementation periods;
- evaluate the impact, process, and cost of the awards in collaboration with the WIC SAs; and,
- disseminate promising and successful initiatives and communicate about challenges as well as potential solutions to challenges.
- Up to $5 million will be available under this RFP
- WIC SAs may request up to $1,000,000 to accommodate projects up to 30 months
- Up to 8 grants will be funded
An eligible applicant must be a WIC SA or consortium of WIC SAs including the 50 States, 34 Indian Tribal Organizations (ITOs), American Samoa, District of Columbia, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.
THIS-WIC focuses on two priority areas:
- Priority Area 1: Implement an existing telehealth solution to ensure timely access to nutritional or breastfeeding support for WIC participants by qualified professionals, or
- Priority Area 2: Develop an online (mobile-friendly) resource or tool to provide nutrition education and/ or breastfeeding support to WIC participants by qualified professionals
Funding to Enhance Existing WIC Services
THIS-WIC will provide technical support to selected projects and up to $1 million in funding for each proposal. This funding opportunity will allow eligible WIC SAs to develop and/or implement telehealth strategies and tools that can enhance the WIC nutrition education and breastfeeding counseling component of WIC services.
These strategies and tools can:
- supplement nutrition education and breastfeeding contacts to WIC participants for identified complex nutrition and/or breastfeeding problems with qualified professionals
- provide for effective counseling by WIC staff with tailored, up‐to‐date information (i.e., nutrition and/or breastfeeding talking points, take‐away messages, etc.) to facilitate productive and meaningful discussions with participants
- facilitate effective documentation, care planning, and appropriate follow-up
Requirements for Applications
- Applications must be led and submitted by a SA or consortium of SAs.
- Applicants must address either Priority Area 1 or Priority Area 2.
- A SA may only apply once under each Priority Area and if applying under both priority areas, will only be eligible to receive one award.
- Applicants must submit all required components of the application by the due date using the online platform.
- Applicants must demonstrate the willingness to implement the telehealth intervention in a randomized fashion or with comparison and treatment groups.
- Applicants must make a commitment to collaborating with THIS-WIC on the evaluation, including supporting THIS-WIC in data collection efforts and providing THIS-WIC with the data needed to evaluate the intervention.
How to Apply
All applications in response to this RFP must be submitted online using the THIS-WIC online system. WIC SAs will be required to register before beginning the application process. We strongly recommend that applicants log in to the system and understand online submission requirements before the submission deadline.
The online application system provides templates and detailed instructions for each phase and component of the grant application. Applicants must follow the instructions and use the templates provided in the online system.
Staff may not be able to assist all applicants in the final 24 hours before the submission deadline. In fairness to all applicants, late submissions will not be accepted.
There are two phases in the competitive proposal process:
Phase I: Brief Proposals (due May 8, 2020 by 11:59pm ET)
All applicants must submit a brief proposal describing the proposed study using the provided template (up to 3 pages, 12-point font). There is no need at this stage to include a budget except for the anticipated total amount. Phase I applicants will be notified on or before June 1, 2020 if they are invited to apply to Phase 2. Depending on the number of applications received, it is possible that all Phase I applicants will be invited to Phase II.
Phase II: Full Proposals, if invited (due September 7, 2020 by 11:59pm ET)
Phase II applications must include: (1) a full proposal using a required project narrative following the provided template (up to 20 pages, single-spaced, 12-point font), (2) detailed budget and a budget narrative, (3) biosketches of key personnel (limit 5-pages for up to 5 personnel), and (4) supporting documents such as letters of support, etc.
Key Dates & Deadlines
Phase I: Brief Proposal
- May 8, 2020 (11:59 p.m. ET)
Deadline for receipt of brief proposals (required for consideration in Phase I)
Phase II: Full Proposal (invite only)
- June 2, 2020
Phase 2 full proposal submission begins for selected Phase I applicants.
- September 7, 2020 (11:59 p.m. ET)
Deadline for receipt of full proposals for selected Phase I applicants.
- October 2020
Applicant finalists notified of funding recommendations.
- November 2020
Grants initiated with selected State Agencies
Additional dates (i.e., reporting, meetings, and completion of the project) will be provided to WIC SAs that receive the award.